Pages

Saturday 14 August 2021

I am Hope

This week in Te Ngahere we had the privilege to have someone called Tai come to talk to us about mental health. He was a representative from the “I am Hope” foundation which is a charity that helps Kiwis with mental health. Tai told us that mental health is just as important as physical health and that it was ok not to know much about mental health because he didn’t really understand it too until he was 22. 

He used his own story to help us understand the struggles that people with bad mental health can go through. For example he talked about a traumatic event he went through that put him in a bad place and how he got through that. Tai  goes and visits schools, communities etc.. and  shares the story he just shared with us to try and let people know that there is somewhere to go if they need. Something the “I am hope” foundation has done is try to make counselling free for Kiwis under 25 so that help is more accessible.

My favourite part was when he mentioned someone called Elliot who he met that helped him more than he ever thought without even knowing. Elliot is a person who played a major part of Tai’s story and he doesn’t even know.

Something that I learnt from his talk is everyone has something called an inner critique and your voice of reason which is like your minds two voices. I think I could see this information in the future so I know to listen to my reason of voice more.

Do you know much about mental health?





No comments:

Post a Comment